In this course:
2. The various characteristic features of schools in linguistic
4. Characteristic features of Saussure's structuralist school
on two figures: Boas and Bloomfield
Trubotskoy and Martinet
8. Characteristic features of the of the London School of Linguistics
10. The views of Labov on linguistic variation
12. Characteristic principles of Critical Discourse Analysis
Students should be able to:
2. Provide an explanation of the different linguistic theories.
4. Compare and contrast characteristics of the various approaches to language study.
- Ability to think critically and analytically.
- Ability to make comparisons between different approaches to the study of language.
- Ability to apply theoretical knowledge to texts.
- Ability to do research and make use of information from references in support of a valid argument.